This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Requests for Certificates and Letters


You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website, or


Evidence that you are sick

Sickness CertificatesIf you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'

The 'fit note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)

Coronavirus (Covid-19): Special arrangements for certificates

Medical certificate in case of Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Request form for Extension of medical certificates and Medical certificates for long-term conditions/

Request form for private medical certificate, and fee payable:

Request form for medical certificate 2016

Request form for medical certificate 2016


For medical letters there is a charge of between £50 to £80 depending on the amount of work involved. Letters may take up to 3 weeks to be prepared. 


Request for letters and forms plus Consent (2017)

Request for letters and forms plus Consent (2017)

The single form above replaces the two separate forms required previously:

Request form for medical letters, and fees payable: (2012)

Consent form for sending confidential information: (2012)

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website